Monday, April 12, 2010

A Dream Come TRUE!




First I must say that I haven't actually left yet, I leave on wednesday. So I don't know anything about my new area still, other than that I've heard that it's in the biggest city in the french islands, Fort de France Martinique. I will leave on Wednesday at 2:30 so yeah haven't got there yet and still with elder fernandes.This Week was pretty good. It was mostly Dominated by the Baptism of our investigator Roseline Charles (who is from dominica and speaks english as well as french) It was cool but WAY stressfull. Here's the deal. She had been taught alot by the missionaries before and we found her because we heard her speaking english and so we said hi and started talking and she accepted our appointment. We came to find out that she had been taught by the missionaries, quite a bit also. And that at one point she had moved and changed her number and after that the missionaries couldn't find her. Well we were reading the teaching record and we read that she had a dream that she was being baptized, she was wearing white and the person baptizing her was wearing white as well (at this point she had never acctually seen a baptism) and it was in a waterfall. Baptizing in waterfalls is faire game here so we decided to make her dream come true. She accepted the invitation to baptism and we planned it for the 'Cascade aux ecrevisses' but the Collings called us the night before and said "Elders it's not a very good idea because there are lots and lots of tourists maybe even 200 every day it's not a good idea" well we couln't bear to see the heartbreak in her eyes in telling her that we wouln't be able to baptize her in the waterfall so we said "The Jomies (a family in the branch) said everything would be alright, we are going to do the baptism at the waterfall." and then Elder Colling left us with an ominous "Ok, Good luck..." So what elder fernandes and I decided to do was pray, that is all you can do after you have done everything else. We asked for a way to do the baptism without 10000 tourists, and in my personal prayers I prayed for rain. If there is one thing that tourists hate it's rain. I also asked that when we got to the waterfall that the rain would stop. Well we woke up the next morning and it was cloudy, I said "maybe it's raining at the waterfall" and then we got a call from Brother Jomie and he said that it was pouring at his house and he didn't know if the baptism could happen at the waterfall because it would be washed out and dirty. We told him that it wasn't raining where we were and so he came to the conclusion that it was just over by his house that it was raining. Well really it was raining everywhere else on guadeloupe except in Gosier. We got the Chapel and it was pouring (the chapel is in point à pitre) so There was some opposition in the Branch Presidency about whether to do it at the Church or at the Waterfall, well Brother Jomie said the Font Takes 3 hours to fill up and the baptism was starting in 20 Minutes. We decided to start filling up the font, and at the same time go to the waterfall to see if it was alright. So we did all the talks and stuff and went to the waterfall.When we got the waterfall there was a busload of tourists leaving "yes!" ha we went to the waterfall and the river right next to it was completely washed out, but the water from the waterfall had remained pure. The rain had lightened to a drizzle for us and we were able to do the baptism. (there were still about 15 tourists asking "what are they doing?) and normally there are TONS of people swimming in the waterfall but this time there were 0 everything went more than perfectly and then we got a call from the Collings asking "So you had alot of tourists there, and it was raining really hard right?" Elder Fernandes replied "No, the tourists left because of the rain and the rain stopped when we got there" Elder Colling said "You were lucky elders" and Elder Fernandes rhetorted "No! We were BLESSED!" HA! it was too perfect!Other than that The week was kind of slow, I was acctually still sick on monday but on tuesday we were able to go out to work, it was sweet.Next monday I'll be in Fort de France With Elder Heiner from Wyoming and I'll tell you all about my new area K?Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment